Pre-retirees: PERSONA EXAMPLE
MIke & beth
Mike and Beth are married. Beth decided to stay at home early in her career to focus on raising their three children. Mike has worked at a few companies over the years but has spent the last 20 at XYZ Corp, a publicly traded company. Over the years he has accumulated a lot of shares of the company through their stock purchase plan, restricted stock options, and some incentive units. Their children are currently in college and will be graduating and off the family payroll soon. As Mike reaches his 60th birthday, he and Beth have started to talk about retirement. They have not worked with a financial advisor but wish to explore how one might help them.
- Mike is too busy to keep track of the various stock option deadlines
- Mike has put away money in various asset classes over the years but doesn’t know if they have enough money to retire when he wants to
- They would like to travel more in retirement but are not sure how much they can spend each year
- Mike has a lot of money in retirement plans and wants to know if they can lower their tax burden in retirement
- Beth and Mike are not sure how to create a retirement spending plan
- They are not sure when to start social security and heard it might be beneficial to wait until age 70
- The couple would like to know how to plan for health care costs, especially if they retire before Medicare eligibility
- Mike and Beth would like to leave some money to their children but not at the expense of their retirement
How Moneta can help in this hypothetical situation:
If this were a real scenario, the Duff Team would sit down with Beth and Mike to map out what is really important to them in retirement. They would describe their ideal scenario and we would help them figure out what that lifestyle would cost each year. It may turn out that Mike and Beth could afford to either buy a second home in Phoenix or travel to different parts of the US for 3-4 day trips multiple times a year. Next, we would create a spending and investment plan that laid out how much income would come from social security and the portfolio each year to support their lifestyle. We would discuss how Mike can lower his tax burden in retirement through various retirement plan distribution strategies. Mike and Beth would learn the different amounts of social security available to them at different ages and how to optimize their benefits along with how the Medicare process would work. Our team would put together a stock vesting schedule to help Mike keep track of his various company stock and we would send regular reminders to him when it was time to exercise a stock option, file an 83(b) election or sell stock. Finally, and most importantly, Mike and Beth would have the freedom to retire confidently and know they would be able to leave a legacy to their children – and even gift some money to the kids during their lifetime when they really could use the help!
Examples contained herein are for illustrative purposes only based on generic assumptions; individual experiences with the Team, and results, will vary. This is not an offer to sell or buy securities, nor does it represent any specific recommendation. You should consult with an appropriately credentialed professional before making any financial, investment, tax or legal decision. Past performance is not indicative of future returns.
NEWS & MEDIA
Moneta’s retirement plan consulting services continue to be ranked among the industry’s best. For the second year in a row, the National Association...
Moneta wins five Top Workplaces Awards and is honored among nation’s Best Places to Work for Financial Advisors
As Moneta’s national footprint grows, so do the awards. After seven straight years of being recognized as a Top Workplace in St. Louis, Moneta was...
Individual taxpayers now have until May 17, 2021 to file their 2020 federal income tax returns and make payments without penalties and interest,...